Here is Part 2 as promised. I feel like this one will be a little more confusing but I will try to be as in-depth as poosible without losing you guys. The list will go from the easiest method to the hardest, keep in mind though that this is all from my opinion and personal experiences.
1. Sign Up Online. (if available)
I went to each music show with the exception of Show Champion. There were four you could sometimes ‘sign up’ or register for in advance. They are: Simply K-Pop, SBS Mtv The Show, KBS Music Bank, and M!Countdown.
**Simply K-Pop is the easiest to do this. You go arirang.co.kr and sign up. Then they will usually post the schedule by Thursday or Friday. You go here to check and see if they will be having any recordings for the upcoming Monday. You can apply for all 3 pre-recordings and the main if you want, then by Sunday no later than 5pm KST they will have sent you an email letting you know you are on the list. If you don’t get an email, you didn’t get picked. I believe they pick the names randomly because me and my friend would sign up at the same time but she would get picked and I wouldn’t. So good luck.
2. Join a fanclub.
I consider myself multi-fandom as hell so, as you see from above, I joined many fancafes while in Korea. This is the method I used the most. Be mindful that my Korean is lacking but I was still able to get by on what little I know and the beautiful Naver translator. Google translator is garbage compared to Naver. Some fan managers even know English, like one of Got7’s fan managers.
A few notes to remember are:
- Most fan café managers require you have the latest album for picked group; like Seventeen we needed both versions of Boys Be whenever we went to an event whereas Got7 had two versions but, though they preferred both, you only need one the first time you attend an event. After that they gave you a sticker and booklet that showed you owned the album and no longer have to bring it for further events unless specified by the fan managers.
- Most fancafe managers also require that you have a printed copy of the Melon digital download but I was usually able to get buy with a copy of my iTunes download because you need your own Korean phone number and melon account to get the downloads from them. Just speak to your fan manager and ask for their understanding in your situation.
- When you pick a group STICK WITH THAT GROUP. By that, I mean that it is fine to sign up for multiple cafe’s and level up in them so that you will at least have the opportunity to see all your faves. Even though I say this, I also say that when promotions start, you need to stick to one group through out their promotion period to avoid getting banned or penalties in the fandom. Ex. If you chose Monsta X but Stellar is promoting at the same time, don’t go back and forth. Some fan managers like Stellar’s and DIA’s will ban you from further activities if they see that you were with another groups fandom. I have a friend who does it and trust me, as much as I love him and appreciate all the video and experiences he has, he has been banned from going into events with the two girl groups I mentioned above. I went in with 3 groups (Bigstar, 24K, and Melody Day) but I always went with them during the duration of their promotions period. Once Bigstar was done I moved onto 24K, then Melody Day.)
- Each fan café level up is different. For B.A.P you can only level up on a certain day at a certain time unless you bought the official baby membership which levels you up automatically. Level Up changes randomly, like the seventeen level up had different questions after mansae promotions compared to before mansae promotions. Some level ups are as easy as just giving basic information (name, age, daum nickname, etc.) and a supportive message to the group. It really all depends. I have my Korean friends to thank for understanding most of it because unless it’s a company like JYP where English has become norm, it will all be in Korean.
- Fan run tumblr pages can also help with the fan café process so be sure to check them out for your specific group as well.
These are all the tips I can remember right now but I hope they help you anyway. If you have any questions just comment below and I will do my best to help you out. I will also either update this post or create a new one should any other tips come back to me. Happy travels!